The connection between evangelism and discipleship is very simple. It is laid out in the Bible.
The Evangelism & Discipleship Connection – Farmers Analogy;
Using the 5 Parts of Jesus’ strategy for Kingdom Growth as illustrated by the 4 Fields process of the Parable of the Growing Seed found in Mark 4:26-29.
The Parable of the Growing Seed
Mark 4:26-29 And He said, “The kingdom of God is as if a man should scatter seed on the ground, and should sleep by night and rise by day, and the seed should sprout and grow, he himself does not know how. For the earth yields crops by itself: first the blade, then the head, after that the full grain in the head. But when the grain ripens, immediately he puts in the sickle, because the harvest has come.”
The Kingdom Growth process explained;
Always abide in fervent prayer during all stages of this process.
- Empty Field = Entry Strategy – Selecting a territory to spread the Gospel. The empty field illustrates a place without the Gospel or the saturation of it.
- Seeded Field = The Gospel Plan – This part is Evangelism. Tell people the Good News after you tell the bad. This is to label all people sinners in need of a Savior. Make sure that they understand the Gospel and pray with them to receive Jesus as Savior & Lord.
- Growing Field = Discipleship – Mentoring new believers in Bible studies while teaching them about the power of prayer & the Great Commission of Matthew 28: 18-20.
- Harvest Field = Church Formation Plan – Collecting groups of believers to worship & pray together while choosing a set off leaders who will feed them the word of God.
- Leadership = Church Multiplication Plan – Identifying leaders in the church who will multiply by scattering seed in new fields/territories; simply put, starting a new church.
The role of the Holy Spirit – The Holy Spirit is the guide to this whole process. Without him, we can do nothing. Following the promptings of the Holy Spirit will guide you through spiritual conversations. The Holy Spirit will also be working on the people that we witness to.
Prayer – Always pray for the lost and those that you have had the honor of leading in a sinner’s prayer. Prayer is great ice breaker when meeting new people. It says that you care about them.
Kingdom Growth – Diagram of the 4 Fields of Process.
Discipleship is Our Duty & Command from Jesus;
The Great Commission
Matthew 28:16-20 Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had appointed for them. When they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some doubted. And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen
Discipleship = Mentoring New Believers
- Bible Studies – Guiding a new believer through a mutual Bible Study is a great way to bond while helping them to grow in their faith. Start with what they can connect with or understand and move on from there. John is a good place to start, then Acts & Romans.
- Prayer – Pray for the lost and for people we disciple. Praying with new believers to show them how to pray and to reveal the power of prayer. Tell them of the connection we have to the Father through the Name of his Son Jesus because of what he did for us.
- Church Attendance – Encourage others to come to church regularly. Meet and greet them so they have a person to connect with from the start. Spiritual Growth & Stronger Faith comes from hearing the word of God.
- Friendship – Friends in the Body of Christ will always serve as a source of comfort and like mindedness. Reach out and hang out. You never know just how much it could mean to a new believer to have a good friend in the Faith.