This 3 week part of the class will go over community witnessing techniques or simply how to approach strangers with the Gospel.
Selecting a Venue/Place to Evangelize
As described in the Parable of the Growing Seed; we must find a place to Evangelize. This is represented by the field where we sow seeds, water them and reap the harvest.
This can include any of the following and more;
- Online – Group Chats, Forums, Bulletin Boards, Social Networks (FaceBook), etc.
- Public Beaches – By the showers, bathroom areas, picnic tables or on the beach itself.
- Public Parks – At the playground, near the bathrooms and by the picnic tables, etc.
- While Shopping – Sometimes you can start up a conversation with a random stranger when approached with a question or when they answer a question that you may have. Either way, you are a shopper and can’t be asked to leave in most cases, so be friendly.
- Indoor Shopping Malls – These are tricky because mall security can ask you to leave, but if you look like you are shopping, you might be able to get away with approaching a few people without being noticed.
- Outdoor Shopping Centers & Strip Malls – We do this often and get regular results. If you can find a large or popular store (like Walmart) that is very busy and the management doesn’t notice you; you can approach many people in a short time.
- Anywhere with Foot Traffic – Ball games, airports, government buildings, etc.
Getting in the Spirit
Like the Psalm says “Come before his presence with singing”; we want to invite the Holy Spirit to help us and be our guide. Worshipping God before we start to evangelize gets your heart right and connects you with the Father. It also pays to go throughout the day listening to worship music. Read some Gospel scriptures to have them fresh on your mind.
Praying the Enemy Away
Spiritual warfare is always a factor and we need God’s help to bind the enemy from interrupting the work we are doing. When 2 or more are gathered together, God is in our midst and with humble hearts we ask for his help before we get started. The enemy shows their face from time to time and if you pay attention; you can pick up on what they are trying to do. It is interesting to see them try, but remember that God is always in charge. Have faith in his help.
Ice Breakers and Openers
We usually get little to no resistance when we use a good ice breaker or opener to quickly connect with an individual, pair or group of people.
- Inviting People to Church – Inviting people to Church is a great way to gauge how much resistance you might get from somebody. If they are open to the idea, chances are they are a believer to some degree. Just make sure to qualify them for the Gospel
- Offering to Pray for Their Needs – Offering to pray for somebody usually gets their guard down and allows for the opportunity to start witnessing to them. Always offer to pray for people’s needs before or after witnessing to them. You never know just what the Holy Spirit has in store for you or them. A prayer of recommitment might be what is standing between them and their relationship with God.
- Offer to Help – Offering them with whatever they are doing is a great way to say you care. A willingness to put forth effort shows love. Try and have a smooth but direct transition to the Gospel from there.
2 Corinthians 5:20 – Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore you on Christ’s behalf, be reconciled to God.
Make a joyful shout to the Lord, all you lands!
Serve the Lord with gladness;
Come before His presence with singing.
Know that the Lord, He is God;
It is He who has made us, and not we ourselves;
We are His people and the sheep of His pasture.
Enter into His gates with thanksgiving,
And into His courts with praise.
Be thankful to Him, and bless His name.
For the Lord is good;
His mercy is everlasting,
And His truth endures to all generations.